Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Backcountry Diva

Hey Friends! This will be my last blog before I begin my trek up the Colorado mountains with the Southwest Conservation Corps.
As I check and double-check my packing and equipment list that was given to me by SCC, I thought it may be entertaining to see what I am bringing for a 60 day backcountry working/living/sleeping/eating experience.


Just looking over this list makes me SUPER excited, nervous, and nauseous. By participating in this program, I have a feeling that it will provide me with exactly what I am looking for: a fresh perspective, a chance to help the environment, a change in living, and an opportunity to meet more really incredible people. I may die from altitude sickness, or chop off my leg with a chain saw, but overall, I still cant get the smile off my face!!!!!!!






High-traction, weatherproof hiking boots
Rain Gear
Wool Socks
Long Underwear
Hardhat
Safety Glasses
Quick-Dry Pants
Backpack – internal frame 55L
Sleeping bag with compression sack
Sleeping pad
Water bottles
Stuff sack for food
Day pack
Lunch Tupperware
Warm hat
Camera
Bathing suit
Sunscreen
Underwear
Insect repellent
Head lamp
Nylon cord
Tampons (I refuse the divacup)
Journal
Plastic bags
Pack rain cover


We are not allowed to bring computers, iPods, cell phones, etc. We are encouraged to bring books, fishing gear, sewing kits, songs, and stores….


I am going to do my best to keep an up-to-date journal and then post it on my blog when I have a chance.


For everyone who has helped me by lending or buying me equipment, I cannot thank you enough. Also, for those who have offered me support just by believing in me, I am so very thankful. I am looking forward to seeing what the next 2 months will bring!


Cheers!

http://sccorps.org/

1 comment: